Hair Design/Barber Program
Arkansas College of Barbering and Hair Design students receive competency based practical instruction. This method allows individuals to progress at their own practical ability with theory on a scheduled basis. Program Title: Barber/Hair Stylist Program Description: The 1500 hour Barber program consist of training in such topics as haircutting, styling, perming, men’s shaving, men’s clipper cutting, straightening, coloring, and scalp treatments. The primary purpose of the program is to train students in both theory and practical skills which will prepare them for state and enhance their employment opportunities into entry level positions within the industry.
The program also provides information about career opportunities, seeking and obtaining employment and laws and regulations governing salon operations. The program is particularly directed toward developing in the student desirable habits and attitudes with respect to health, sanitation, safety, and encourages self-reliance, readiness to assist others, in an ethical approach to this profession, as well as business and legal aspects of salon operations.
- Students will receive an education in both theory and practical skills and gain knowledge in all phases of barbering.
- To prepare students to successfully pass the state board examination.
- To prepare students to work in a professional hairstyling salon as a licensed barber.
- To perform in barber related occupations.
- To develop an awareness of their professional responsibilities to both the clients and employer / employee relationships and effective communication skills.
Program Format: (Instructional Techniques and Methods)
- Program outlines and lesson plans
- Practical demonstrations
- Audio-visual materials
- Mannequin and live model practical and clinic workshops 6. Written and practical evaluations